Grosseto

Home  /  Itinerari e luogi @en  /  Current Page

Wove the first row the enterprising genius of the ancient Etruscan city, was then the Roman colonization and the fury of the Saracen invasions. Siena in 1336 thegovernment took over the city, and with the move to Florence (1554) the fortress wasbuilt, the nineteenth Public Park and incomparable location to enjoy the harvest typically medieval urban mosaic in character. The historicizing restoration of the nineteenth century led to the current face of the center, it bears clear traces the Cathedral of St.Lorenzo (begun in 1294), which underwent frequent. The most intrusive was that of1840-45, which dealt a major refurbishment in figures Romanesque Revival, houses asolemn altarpiece by Matteo di Giovanni (1474). In 1220 the Franciscans devoted to St.Francis found a church by the Benedictines, renewing it in accordance with thesimplicity of the basic precepts of the Order. Behind the main altar stands a large crucifix made by a young Duccio (1280-83). The Archaeological Museum and Art has acollection of sacred boards, ceramics and coins dating from the Middle Ages to the Renaissance. Among these is the Madonna of the cherries Sassetta (1450), an influential artist on Sienese painting of the first half of the fifteenth century gothic already time for the refinement regularity perspectiv