Monte Oliveto

Home  /  Itinerari e luogi @en  /  Current Page

It dates back to the noble Sienese Bernardo Tolomei the source of the wonderful humanincursion into an invincible nature, made entirely of red brick between 1387 and 1525.All premises are surrounded with three cloisters, the big one, is crossed by 36 panels in the walls painted with the life of S. Benedetto da Norcia. Those of the first wall weremade by Luca Signorelli (1495-98), the remaining eccentric Sodom (1504-08). He wasone of the leading centers for the reception of pilgrims along the Via Francigena closeto the renowned pharmaceutical business in herbal, still active.